If you’re anything like me, the day doesn’t start until you’ve had coffee. It’s the turbo-charge to my vehicle, and as an ex-expat of Italy, I’m always on the hunt for the perfect cup. Espresso can be a finicky and fun thing to perfect, but we were lucky enough to catch up with our friend Salvatore Foto, the training manager at Lavazza Premium Coffee, who shared his insider knowledge on mastering the espresso shot. (Thanks a latté, Salvatore!) When made properly, the result is a rich little cup of bittersweet aromas with a pleasant, lingering after-taste.
Lavazza is the perfect example of everything good espresso should be. As a family-owned Italian accomplishment, they’ve been grinding coffee beans for over a century, and remain committed to excellence in every step of the production. Working to improve the living conditions and economic growth of farming communities, the habitability of the land, and to develop ecological production methods, Lavazza is socially responsible with the added promise of “Italian passion in every cup.”
Want to step outside that certain espresso chain comfort zone and master your own Lavazza espresso shot? Check out the video below!
1. The perfect expresso shot begins with the grinder and beans, not the espresso machine. Grind whole Lavazza coffee beans and pay attention to the consistency. If too course, the espresso will be under-extracted and flush out. If too fine, it will be very acidic, bitter and black.
2. Make sure the water filter is clean and remove any access espresso
3. Pull a double shot, which is 14 grams of grinds into the filter
5. Tap and brush off the filter to create the perfect amount
6. Pay attention the temperature of the machine. The boiling temperature averages between 185 and 195 degrees, but when the espresso is extracted it drops to around 165
7. Preheat the cup by filling it with hot water to keep the inside warm
8. When you pour the espresso, watch for a nice easy flow with the crema. The pour should last between 18 and 25 seconds
9. Pay attention to how you store your coffee beans, keep them extra fresh by dumping in an airtight container
There you have it! Easy tips for making the perfect espresso with Lavazza coffee!
Head to our Guest Chefs section for more amazing videos w/ New York’s top chefs/bartenders!
Are you a fan of Lavazza or have other advanced espresso skills? Tell us about it in the comments below!